The dental assisting field is a career opportunity that encompasses a variety of dental specialties under the umbrella of dentistry. With dental assisting training you can enter the workforce to find employment at an orthodontic, pediatric, endodontic, periodontic, prosthodontic, or oral and maxillofacial surgery office. That’s a lot of options, and here’s what they involve:
- Endodontics: root canal treatment
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery: tooth removal and correcting facial abnormalities
- Orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics: teeth straightening and alignment using braces or other oral appliances
- Pediatric dentistry: working with children and treating their oral issues
- Periodontics: all treatment of issues related to the gums
- Prosthodontics: replacing missing teeth through design, manufacturing, and fitting of artificial tooth replacements
As a dental assistant, you can work as a hygienist, assistant or dental technician. You might perform administrative tasks such as scheduling appointments for patients, updating patient records, helping patients get ready for their procedure and feel comfortable as well as educate them on their oral hygiene care.
You can assist the dentist with instruments during a procedure and even perform basic lab tasks. You’ll also take patient X-rays, examine the patient’s mouth for illness or abnormalities, remove tooth stains and dental plaque and apply fluoride and dental sealants.
At the Dental Assisting Institute of Virginia located in Colonial Heights, Virginia, Dr. Tom G. Schleicher and our team are committed to helping you learn the skills you need to be the exceptional dental assistant we know you can be! Our experienced team strives to help you receive the high-quality, hands-on instruction you deserve. With years of experience in the dental field, we are ready to share our combined knowledge and tools with you. If you’re ready to make a career investment, we welcome you to visit our office or reach out to us by phone today at 804-526-0231.